If the God we serve exists, then he can rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire, and he can rescue us from the power of you, the king.  But even if he does not rescue us, we want you as king to know that we will not serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up.

Daniel 3:17-18 (CSB)

I spent the last year fighting with Medicare over a charge for a blood test that was prescribed for Mark. He was referred to an oncologist since they were not sure if he had some kind of blood disease and this was the initial examination.

We live in doctor’s offices so I didn’t give it a second thought when told to go and have some blood drawn at the local Sonora Quest. We have both been there many times and they quickly downloaded the doctor’s orders and took some vials of blood.

And then the bills began to arrive. Month after month I received a bill for $1739.64 which I promptly took down to the docotor’s office to have them take care of it. I was continally told that it was a coding error but it was denied over and over again. No one in the doctor’s office would take responsiblity for not getting pre-aurthorization for the test.

Finally, I got the letter informing me the bill was going to collections. At this point, I went into high gear talking to all the various parties and began the appeal process to Medicare…and waited.

The emotional toll on me began to show. I had spent hours trying to get to the bottom of the problem and struggled with thoughts of what if the ruling went against us. I prayed, asked my Bible study and friends to pray. My stomach clenched every time I stopped at the mailbox. Sleep was elusive. Fear had set in.

Finally, I said to God, that even if the ruling went against us, I would praise Him. I knew this was no surprise to Him and He was working on it. I didn’t think it would be for my good to have to pay that bill but I would praise Him, no matter the outcome.

I opened the mailbox and knew the letter I pulled out was the one I had been waiting for. We had been in process for 15 months. Our appeal was denied. But my faith has not wavered at the outcome. I know He is in control and that something good will come from it. I negotiated with Sonora Quest for a 30% discount and paid the bill. I wish it had ended differently but I am relieved that it is over — a huge weight has lifted (and Mark is fine.)

Faith over fear.